Name: Xiqun (Michael) Chen
Position: "Hundred Talents Program" Professor
Tel: +86(571) 88208938
Dr. Xiqun (Michael) Chen is currently a Hundred Talents Program Professor with the Institute of Intelligent Transportation Systems, College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, working in the fields of traffic and transportation management, transportation big data analytics, traffic flow modeling and simulation, simulation-based optimization, and intelligent transportation systems. He received the B.E. and Ph.D. degrees from the Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, in 2008 and 2013, respectively. In 2011, he visited the California PATH Program, University of California at Berkeley as a joint training Ph.D. student. He worked in the University of Maryland and National University Transportation Center during 2013-2015. His thesis entitled Stochastic Evolutions of Dynamic Traffic Flow: Modeling and Application received the 2013 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society Best Ph.D. Dissertation Award. He was awarded by the Zhejiang Provincial Thousand Talents Plan, and Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Funds for Distinguished Young Scholars. In the aforementioned areas, he has published 1 book, 2 book chapters, over 50 peer review journal papers and over 50 conference papers.
Ph.D., 09/2008 - 01/2013, Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Joint Training Ph.D. Student, 09/2011 - 08/2012, Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California at Berkeley, CA
B.S., 08/2004 - 07/2008, Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Hundred Talents Program Professor, Principal Investigator, 03/2015 - Present, College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University
Assistant Director of Research and Education, 10/2013 - 02/2015, National Transportation Center @ Maryland
Research Associate, 07/2014 - 06/2015, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park
Faculty Research Assistant, 07/2012 - 06/2014, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park
Host Research Project
1) National Natural Science Foundation of China: Traffic Flow Modeling and Operational Strategies Optimization for Urban Transportation Corridor Simulations, 01/2016 - 12/2018.
2) National Natural Science Foundation of China: Demand/Supply Evolutionary Mechanism and Control Strategies Optimization for On-Demand Ride Services Based on Connected Mobile Big Data, 01/2018 - 12/2021.
3) Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China: Evolutionary Mechanism and Control of Traffic Situation Based on Fused Mobile Connected Big Data, 01/2017 - 12/2020.
4) DiDi Chuxing: Transportation Big Data Analysis, 04/2017 - 03/2018.
1) Chen X.*, Li L. and Shi Q. (2015) Stochastic Evolutions of Dynamic Traffic Flow: Modeling and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg.
2) Bai J., So K.C., Tang C.*, Chen X. and Wang H. (2018) Coordinating supply and demand on an on-demand platform: Price, wage, and payout ratio. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, in press.
3) Chen X., Zhang S., Li L.* and Li L. (2018) Adaptive rolling smoothing with heterogeneous data for traffic state estimation and prediction. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System, in press.
4) Zhu Z., Xiong C., Chen X.* and Zhang L.* (2018) Integrating dynamic traffic assignment and agent-based travel behavior models for cumulative land development impact analysis. Transportation Research Part C, in press.
5) Ni L., Wang X.C. and Chen X.* (2018) A spatial econometric model for travel flow analysis and real-world applications with massive mobile phone data. Transportation Research Part C, 86, 510-526.
6) Chen X., He X., Xiong C., Zhu Z. and Zhang L.* (2018) A Bayesian stochastic Kriging optimization model dealing with heteroscedastic simulation noise for freeway traffic management. Transportation Science, in press.
7) Ke J., Zheng H., Yang H. and Chen X.* (2017) Short-term forecasting of passenger demand under On-demand ride services: A spatio-temporal deep learning approach. Transportation Research Part C, 85, 591-608.
8) Jiang Z., Chen X.* and Ouyang Y. (2017) Traffic state and emission estimation for urban expressways based on heterogeneous data. Transportation Research Part D, 53, 440-453.
9) Li L. and Chen X.* (2017) Vehicle headway modeling and its inferences in macroscopic/microscopic traffic flow theory: A survey. Transportation Research Part C, 76, pp. 170-188.
10) Chen X.*, Zahiri M. and Zhang S. (2017) Understanding ridesplitting behavior of on-demand ride services: An ensemble learning approach. Transportation Research Part C, 76, pp. 51-70.
11) Li L., Chen X.*, Li Z. and Zhang L. (2016) A global optimization algorithm for trajectory data based car-following model calibration. Transportation Research Part C, 68, pp. 311-332.
12) Chen X., Xiong C., He X. Zhu, Z. and Zhang L.* (2016) Time-of-day vehicle mileage fees for congestion mitigation and revenue generation: A simulation-based optimization method and its real-world application. Transportation Research Part C, 63, pp. 71-95.
13) He X., Chen X.*, Xiong C., Zhu Z. and Zhang L.* (2017) Optimal time-varying pricing for toll roads under multiple objectives: A simulation-based optimization approach. Transportation Science, 51(2), 412-426.
14) Xiong C., Chen X., He X., Lin X. and Zhang L.* (2016) Agent-based en-route diversion: Dynamic behavioral responses and network performance represented by Macroscopic Fundamental Diagrams. Transportation Research Part C, 64, pp. 148-163.
15) Jiang X.*, Zhang L. and Chen X. (2014) Short-term forecasting of high speed rail demand: A hybrid approach combining ensemble empirical mode decomposition and gray support vector machine with real-world applications in China. Transportation Research Part C, 44, pp. 110-127.
16) Li L., Chen X.* and Zhang L. (2014) Multimodel ensemble for traffic state estimations. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 15(3), pp. 1323-1336.
17) Li L.*, Chen X. and Li Z. (2013) Asymmetric stochastic Tau theory in car-following. Transportation Research Part F, 18, pp. 21-33.
18) Li L., Chen X.*, Li Z. and Zhang L. (2013) Freeway travel-time estimation based on temporal-spatial queueing model. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 14(3), pp. 1536-1541.
19) Chen X., Li L.* and Li Z. (2012) Phase diagram analysis based on a temporal-spatial queueing model. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 13(4), pp. 1705-1716.
20) Chen X., Li L.* and Zhang Y. (2010) A Markov model for headway/spacing distribution of road traffic. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 11(4), pp. 773-785.
2017 Second Prize, Science and Technology Award of ITS China
2017 Best Paper Award, The 9th International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science
2017 First Prize, College of Supply Chain Management Student Paper Competition, Annual POMS Conference
2016 Distinguished Youth Award, Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation
2016 Best Paper Award, The 11th Annual Meeting of China ITS
2013 Best Ph.D. Dissertation Award of the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society
2013 Best Paper Award of The Sixth International Conference on Nonlinear Mechanics
Guest Editor, Special Issue, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies
Editorial Board Member, Computations and Materials in Civil Engineering, 02/2016 - Present
Chair, Traffic Operations and Management, World Transport Convention, 06/2017 - Present
Transportation System Analysis (Undergraduate students)
Transportation Big Data Analytics (Graduate students)
Transportation Data Science (International students)